I'm not going to act like a fake hardcore fan like 99% of OF fans. As Tyler said in an interview "if you were a real fan, you'd know my birthday," which I don't. I appreciate OF's music and decline to hop onto the bandwagon that is the swag fag legion that follows OF around and degrades their fans' reputation by infesting the fanbase with their swag faggotry. Anyways, onto the main point here -- the day Yonkers was released, I heard a line in the full version that really blew me away:

They say success is the best revenge.

Although it seems like a quick metaphor to Stephen King taking the same route to get back at the university that denied him for a career in creating films due to his pitiful grades from high school, I find this to be in a different context -- Tyler's life. Allow me to give you my personal opinion on this line from Yonkers.

If you speed up to 3:15, you'll hear the line in the last verse of the song that caught the heart of millions across the country, whether in good light or bad, Tyler doesn't care. As for the analysis, I did a little research after hearing how in-depth Tyler's music is, telling each song from a different person's perspective like a story. I was amazed and needed to dig deeper.

After some keystrokes, it turns out "Success is The Best Revenge," or in French, "Le succès à tout prix," is a 1984 French-British drama film directed by Jerzy Skolimowski. Let's go deeper. We've heard Tyler show his disgust towards his father who abandoned him at a young age -- understandable, I'm sure many of us would feel the same way. It's fair to say Tyler didn't have the easiest life growing up, but we can't speak for others that we don't know, so we can't say this fact. For the sake of this opinion, let's say his childhood was a struggle like many of ours, living without a parent or having a best friend die.

After researching Jerzy Skolimowski a little bit more, it turns out his childhood was relatively bad, losing his father by execution and being riddled by war day in and day out in Poland (as he's from Poland and is Polish). A quote from his life's article:

As a small child he witnessed the brutalities of war, even having been rescued from the rubble of a bombed-out house in Warsaw. His father, a member of the Polish Resistance, was executed by the Nazis.

As you can see, not a very nice picture in your mind. What's strange is that as Oldie came out, I noticed Mike G spit a line that read as follows around 3:40 in:

I got bars and plans to
pimp these Polish bitches into pop stars.
Humanity kills,
we all suffer from insanity still.

A reference to Poland nearly a year later in a totally unrelated song out of the blue. A coincidence, most probably so, but an interesting one at that. It's also a weird coincidence that Yonkers was released on Valentine's of 2011, the same day in 1958 Jerzy would have the idea of Success Is The Best Revenge and would start writing on it. 26 years later it was made into a reality.

So that line alone, in one verse of Tyler's song Yonkers, off one album off the near-dozen that have come out, whether they be actual albums or mixtapes or little side projects OF has been nice enough to release to the public, carries that much meaning -- and that's just my take. I don't think the new fans really pay attention to these metaphores -- they just buy OF merch and wear it like they know how to be a cool cat.

Back to RuneScape.

Views: 266

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

They're audience is mostly teenagers. (Bastards)

When I first fell into OF (16) it was because I could relate, not for any hidden message or cool expensive clothing. I can still relate.

"hop onto the bandwagon that is the swag fag legion that follows OF around and degrades their fans' reputation by infesting the fanbase with their swag faggotry."

OF's Fans Vary. I don't think 1 fan can judge another because he/she claims A over B.  Heck, what if this 'swag fag legion' is what's perpetuating their success? 

Either way, as Long as Odd Future stays Odd Future. Fuck everybody else and keep listening.

There's countless interviews and occassions where OF members say their fanbase is loyal but half of it is filled with idiots that act cool like they're in the know. The swag fag legion is doing nothing towards their success except posting quotes of lyrics and drawing upside down crosses on their hands and legs following up by taking pictures with Instagram and posting it on FB for some likes.

I agree, as long as OF stays OF, I don't really care.

Orange Cloud said:

They're audience is mostly teenagers. (Bastards)

When I first fell into OF (16) it was because I could relate, not for any hidden message or cool expensive clothing. I can still relate.

"hop onto the bandwagon that is the swag fag legion that follows OF around and degrades their fans' reputation by infesting the fanbase with their swag faggotry."

OF's Fans Vary. I don't think 1 fan can judge another because he/she claims A over B.  Heck, what if this 'swag fag legion' is what's perpetuating their success? 

Either way, as Long as Odd Future stays Odd Future. Fuck everybody else and keep listening.

My Nigga.

My love for OF music comes from relatability. Tyler, MellowHype, Domo, and Earl all have relatable lines and lyrics, and for all different kinds of reasons. Tyler's comes from childlike nonsense, but it all has a different purpose. "Inglorious" is my favorite Tyler song by far. Hodgy raps, in MellowHype, about being on your own, with nobody else to trust except yourself. That can be incredibly relatable at most times. Domo keeps the constant weed gags, but always has other lines that show more versatility.

And lastly, for Earl... Well... I heard he's pretty good.

You don't have to be a hardcore fan ans shit. Not to brag. I've knew Of since Bloxhead days and Tyler wwas bound to blow up. Music is about discovering and artists always want new fans. But kids just listen to yonkers first and base everything off that one song. Listen to the first Odd future tape. listen to radical. Listen to bastard. Listen To Bastard. Listen to domo's Under the Influence. Listen To Hodgy's Dena tape. Listen to Mike G award Tour. Just discover their music. Watch Interviews. if you really are on the badwagon. you gotta be all the way on it. Odd future are great beacuse they are diverse, filled with skaters, musicians, comedians, and they are relatable. They got money to blow, but still dress and act like they were b4 the fame and money. They have change in some way. Don;t kid yorself money changes people. All i'm saying fuck being a hardcorre fan. Jsut be a loyal follower.

Been listening to Ttyler since 09 and it stuck because I could relate like crazy. The shit he talks about that happends with girls, or at school I can relate to. I grew up with both parents in my life, but having parents that don't understand a damn thing about you is just as painful as not having any parents around. As for Earl Sweatshirt, when I first heard him I couldn't stop listening. The wittyness was like my everyday dialog put into lyrics. I jokingly hated Tyler & Earl for having so much in common with me as far as music, personality, and persona in general is concerned, and I knew ignorant stans would tell me "You act just like odd future your a copy cat" ect, ect. But I stopped caring. Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All Dont Give A Fuck Litter Life Loiter Squad Bacon Boys Butt Fuck Bitch Niggas. And it's March 6th 1991, no homo. I'm just a fan.

OF interviews are the best. Every member has great tracks as well. There's so much to love about OF more than the shit everybody else loves them for.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Latest Activity

© 2018   Created by WUHH.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service